Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Something worth blogging about!


The last few weeks have been busy, for sure. And it took me a while to get over my heart-break of not being pregnant. :( About that, I know it's all in God's timing- Mark and I are doing everything we can this year to prepare our home, finances, and hearts for a child and I look ahead with anticipation of what is to come very soon for us. (hopefully)

School is awesome. I have such a great class and I can't believe we're almost to November! That means parent conferences and report cards are looming, but I'm excited to experience it all since this is my first year with it! (can you say "naive"?)

We're going to California for a wedding next week. Mark's parents rented a minivan, so we'll be driving...and I'll be cracked up (or down, depending on how you look at it) on Dramamine the whole way! I'm looking forward to the break from school and time with extended family- but NOT looking forward to making sub plans for 3 days- blech!

So...for the "something" worth blogging about- if you've followed my humble blog for a while, you know that we are embarking on a rather large remodel this next year and plan to do it without financing a dime, so we have a lot to save for! I went to the Tacoma Home Show with my parents last week and entered a drawing for granite countertops...

my mom said to me, as I filled out the form, "Robin, you should write 'pick me!' on the form so they know to make the right choice!" Well, it was a funny joke, but guess what?

WE WON! Whoohoo!

We won a credit towards the material/installation that pretty much (from my calculations) covers the whole deal! We are going to look at the showroom this weekend and peruse what they have to offer. This is such a motivation for us because we've lived in this house over a year and haven't put ANY of our personal stamp on the place. I love to decorate and Mark and I enjoy collaborating on these projects. He, being a graphic designer, has such a great eye for color and form and I feel like we really "got it right" with our condo that we remodeled. We're anxious, but so very thankful to the Lord for providing us with such an amazing home to raise our children and host our friends and family in...we see this as a blessing from Him to keep us motivated towards our goals in the next year.

In other news, my hair from a few weeks ago turned out great. :) More of a natural look than what I've previously had going, but I'm having this inner-struggle about my hair and getting pregnant and the chemicals/money used to keep it up.

Did you moms worry about hair color when you were pregnant?

It would take a while to get my hair back to the natural state because I'm much lighter now than my roots are. For now, I'm happy with it. The new lady is great and she charges less, which is REALLY great! I know you've all been waiting for an update on that situation. :)

And lastly, I'm just so thankful for this little blog community. It's so fun to keep in touch with my family and friends that have blogs, and also it's been so great to "meet" new faces and hear the challenges and joys that others out there are experiencing...I love to check up on everyone and feel so encouraged by many of the words you all write. I think my brain is so shriveled by the end of the day that any of my deeper thoughts worth blogging about get lost in my thoughts of "where are my sweats?" and "was that my second or third glass of wine?" (actually, that last thought only occurs on a REALLY bad day!). But thanks anyway for checking in on me- you girls are great!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Congrats on the countertops! Regarding hair, I chatted with my hair gal about it. I get my hair colored every 8 weeks. I think I had my hair colored twice while prego (I don't color my hair in the summer, the sun takes care of that). She said that only get my hair colored twice with such little amount of time it's on my head makes no difference at all. Totally safe. Also, you are allowed 300 miligrams of caffeine a day as well which equals 1 shot or one pop. You will feel like such crap in the first trimester you won't want coffee anyway. It would be nice if you could get through your first year, but as you said, it is in God's timing.

Robin said...

Thanks, Sara- good info! I do plan to get through my first year...getting pregnant at this time next year would put me in a perfect stop to take a break and be a mom...I can't imagine not wanting coffee, but what you're saying is the same as everything else I've heard, that you feel like crap and just want to live on the couch! :) Hope you're having a good day!

Katie, Ryan, Sean, and Molly said...

Hey Robin, Katie here (mandy's friend). I have been touched by reading your blog lately - my husband and I struggled with loss when we were first trying and it is so hard to want it so bad but still be out of reach. So hang in there - your desire to have children is inspiring and evidence that you are already preparing your heart to be a mom. So keep you head up and surround yourselves with those who love and will support you through all this.

And congrats on the counter tops! What a blessing!!!

tiffany jeanne said...

That is incredible about your counter tops! Wow! (you're going to have to blog pics when they're all finished!!!) And about the hair...I don't think it's as big a deal as it used to be, especially if you're getting it foiled because the chemicals don't come into contact as much with your scalp. I've continued to get my hair done thru both of my pregnancies so far...it's actually relaxing for me, so that must be good! Your heart is in the right place and trusting in the Lord is all you can do...but I know it's hard to wait. It's like: When you're ready to be pregnant, you're ready...and the waiting sucks. I'll be praying for you! Oh, and start taking your prenatals now!

Take care! And P.S. yes, Janelle and I work together! Small world!

Jenny said...

Thanks for popping in over on my blog...I opted for a new hand soap this year- I had been to TJ Max and didn't find it :(

Congrats on the big win! I won a contest on Etsy and it felt so amazing to get free stuff...but this is just perfect timing for your family, it puts my frivolous etsy shopping to shame.

As for hair and pregnancy- I have plenty of friends that still color their hair when pregnant. I think the chemicals are pretty different now and there's not much risk. You should ask your doctor what they think!