Sunday, December 30, 2007

Say goodbye to the ugly cabinet!



So, last night when we got home from a friend's house (around 11pm), we walked into our kitchen and Mark said, "Wanna take down those cabinets?"

"Those Cabinets" have been the the absess of our kitchen from the very beginning. In the "after" picture, you can see how far down the cabinets hung because of the line they left on the cabinet adjacent to where they used to attach. As you can see, we have the typical kitchen of the 60's, complete with really annoying, low-hanging bank of cabinets over the penninsula...including awful and VERY bright flourescent lights underneath. Nice. When I cook, I like to work on the penninsula to do my prep work; I can look out the living room windows or watch Rachel Ray on tv. Unfortunately, I'm taller than 4'11'', so my head bangs and scratches and digs into those afore-named cabinets so that I look like I went into an alley and got beat up. Mark, of course had the same problem, though not while cooking :), but while dipping into whatever I have in the works.

So...this morning we worked together to get the cabinets out...they were beastly, but as you can see in the photo on the left, we conquered them! I quickly slapped a coat of primer on the bare wall and voila! The "after" photo on the right shows how much more room we have to float our heads!

It's amazing how doing something that cost our time, but none of our money, has brought us so much joy! A small change that has made a BIG difference! Here are a few more photos of "after"...notice how much more open our kitchen and living room look...(excuse the boys playing video games in the background)

No comments: