Saturday, January 19, 2008

As days go, it's been a good one...




Today was supposed to be sunny, with no rain. I had a great big to-do list that included all things outdoor- cleaning up the yard, pruning some bushes, washing the cars, sweeping the driveway...well, whaduya know, I was greeted this morning with...rain. My to-do list quickly turned into a rush towards the kitchen to make some freshly ground coffee and homemade cranberry scones. I loved the way the house smelled with the coffee brewing and the scones baking....knowing that Mark would soon wake up to the smell of warm, fresh things downstairs. I remember when I was a kid, loving Saturday mornings...as I lay in bed, deciding whether to get up or sleep in another 4 hours, :) I could hear my parents downstairs, flipping the pages of the newspaper, smelling the coffee they had brewed and sometimes french toast or pancakes- hoping the smell would coax my brother and I out of bed before noon, so they could put us to work with weekend chores. It always worked...I'm sure I'll do the same with my kids.

My dad came up today and he and Mark put the finishing touches on our new garage door openers that we got for Christmas (thanks, mom and dad!). We have a detached 3-car garage and so installing the openers has been no small feat! This was the 2nd Saturday my dad came to help, and by 6pm they finally had the job done. It was so exciting to see them working and looking forward to parking in there again! The coolest (and most essential) part of the installation are the keychain remotes we have. We can stand at our back door and push the remote, opening the garage doors before even stepping out of the house! That, coupled with the remote door locks and lights on my car makes for easy, safe mornings...now if I could just get my car to start with a remote...:)

For dinner, I decided to make some delicious fish tacos. I love fish, but I never thought I'd like fish tacos. When I finally tried them, I realized how fresh, light, and healthy they are...I make them all the time now! I started with some frozen tillapia fillets from Costco- they are so versatile and quick to bake, you should pick some up! Tillapia is a really mild fish, kinda like snapper...so it goes well with many recipes. Then I wrapped them in multi-grain tortillas with some crisp lettuce and some reduced-fat shredded cheese. In one, I slathered on some tarter sauce, and the other some fresh pico de gallo salsa. I topped it off with a dollop of light sour cream, some fresh cilantro, and chunks of yummy avocado. A great end to a productive day. Now we're snuggled on the couch and ready to watch a movie...I love Saturdays.


No comments: