Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A long day and sad evening...



Tonight when I returned home after a crazy day at work, I was greeted with a beautiful view out the back door of the skyline at sunset. This house gives us such amazing views of sunsets...all year long- it's such a wonderful scene at the end of a long day and something I always look forward to. You can see that as soon as I walked in the door, I lit a ginger peach candle from Pier 1 (as always) poured myself a glass of pino grigio (is it illegal to talk about drinking wine on the Internet? I'm so new to this blog thing) and tried to catch up on emails. My friend Mara called and wondered if I'd heard about Heath Ledger...I said no. She said he died today. I was immediately heartbroken, for his life, for his family and friends. It doesn't matter that I never met him- there's something about movie stars that always intrigues me...I want them to strive for and have normal lives. I want them to raise children in privacy, and most of all, I don't want them to succumb to the same tragedy that so many of them (the rest of the world, too) end up facing- death too young. Now as I say this, I'm also thinking. "what's wrong with me?" Here I am mourning a rich movie star who had everything, when there are so many people in the world dying each day of starvation, neglect, curable and non-curable disease...but then, the movie stars are constantly in front of me on TV, in magazines, on the Internet...maybe that is the problem...but hasn't that always been the problem? The people who really need help aren't shown to us, and so then we end up empathizing with who the media wants us to empathize for- the famous.

At the end of the day, I hurt ANY time I hear of people hurting, dying too young, and being affected by tragedy...today I am sad for Heath Ledger's family, friends...his 2-year old daughter...it's just awful.

On another note, I am so thankful for my new job and seeing the way God works in my life in so many ways. Today, there was a girl from the Ukraine (her first day at school was Friday) who speaks no English. She is the most beautiful little 2nd grader and such a sweet soul. God reminded me today that music IS the universal language....here is this little lady who has no clue what anyone is saying to her all day long, but I'm able to pat out rhythms with her, she's able to do dance steps to music, and able to learn words to the music (she doesn't care that she doesn't know what they mean!)....this little girl brought me so much joy today and taught me that every kid has something to contribute. Now if I can just work on those naughty, inappropriate 1st grade boys who frustrate me to no end- even after being there for only 2 days!

God bless you all...I wonder who reads this? :)

No comments: