Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thankful November- day 14

Today I'm thankful for a service that makes my life easier.

Amazonfresh.com

I've been buying groceries through Amazonfresh for a few months now and I just love it. I would say the prices are like shopping at QFC, so not the cheapest around, but there's a sidebar that tallies up everything I have in my cart so I can keep an eye on how much I'm spending in order to stay within our budget, and so far it hasn't been a problem. I actually think I shop smarter now and buy less junk because I'm so mindful of everything I'm putting in my cart. Before Brynn was born, grocery shopping was one of my favorite errands. I would stop for coffee first and stroll through the store casually, putting together delicious meals for the week as I went and not worrying if I forgot something, since I could just turn my cart around and go allllllllllll the way back to the other side of the store if needed.

Now, as a mama, grocery shopping is not one of my favorite errands. For me, it takes some concentration (which may sounds silly), and I've tried everything to make it easier, like compartmentalizing my list into categories so I'm not zipping from one side of the store to the other searching for something. A friend told me about Amazonfresh and I decided to give it a try.

I've developed a pretty stream-lined system- Sunday evenings I sit down and open 3 tabs in my internet browser. One is for Cooking Light, which is where many of my weekly recipes come from, though I do use that tab to search other food websites as well, the 2nd tab is an email addressed to myself with each day of the week listed- I type out what I'm going to prepare for dinner next to the appropriate day and if I'm using a new recipe I found online, I paste the link into my email. The 3rd tab is for Amazonfresh, where I can easily and quickly search for the things my family eats every week, as well as special items from the online recipes I've found. It takes me about 30-45 minutes, depending on how many new recipes I'm looking up, but it has saved me so much time! I can then choose whatever day and time in the next week I want my groceries delivered, and they come right to my door without me having to be there. Another great part is that there are no bags to deal with, I just open the tubs and put my groceries away. It's awesome. It was especially great when Brynn and I were both sick last week and a trip to the grocery store was needed but definitely the last thing on my list!

So, as I end this post and begin my weekly menu planning/ grocery shopping, I'm grateful to be able to do so from the comfort of my own home at whatever time of day I want. Here's to making things easier!

1 comment:

John and Bree plus 3 (and a dog!) said...

I LOVE online grocery shopping as well. I'm doing the bulk of our Thanksgiving online because... How much FUN would it be to schlep 3 kiddos around a crazy grocery store (or 2!) while shopping for Thanksgiving food?!?! :)