Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thankful November... (day 1 and 2)

This month, I'm joining some of my friends by blogging each day about something I'm thankful for. Our society has become so focused on the wrong things, and especially this time of year- consumerism abounds, does it not? This is a chance to take a moment each day and pay attention to all the blessings that I have in my life, and there are MANY! Join me, if you like. Find a journal you have around, or just use some sticky notes (good idea, Bree!) and record your blessings. How amazing will you feel at the end of the month when you have all these "grateful-for" notes staring back at you? What wonderful reminders to focus outward, not inward, as people. Of course, I've started a day late because of a very busy Monday, but I think the subject of this post is worth 2 days of thankfulness. =)

Today I'm thankful for Mark. Of course I'm thankful for him every day, but last night I experienced a moment with him that made me fall in love with him all over again. Brynn was having a hard time settling down to sleep...okay, she was screaming. We're not a "cry-it-out" family, but I do give Brynn 5-10 minutes to try and calm herself down before I intervene. I'm usually the one to put Brynn down for the night and go in if she needs to be soothed. Mark just hasn't had too much luck being able to settle her down and honestly, it has always been easier and faster if I just go in and give her a quick snuggle to help her calm down. I know this has always been kinda tough for Mark, feeling like he doesn't quite know how to help Brynn in this way. Anyway, last night, I put her down, she cried, and since I had started making dinner, Mark offered to go help Brynn. It hadn't been 10 minutes yet, but Mark felt like he wanted to go to her. Pretty soon, I heard her stop crying. He was upstairs for a while and when he came down, he walked into the kitchen and had tears in his eyes and said, "I did it". He had snuggled with her for a long time and she fell asleep. For me, it was incredible to witness this moment he was experiencing as a daddy and how it was impacting him. He felt like he helped, like he was capable, like he had something to offer, like he knew what Brynn needed. Since I am the one taking care of Brynn all day, I have experienced many of these "I did it" moments, but to watch Mark experience this brought me so much joy and I've been smiling inside all day today as I remember last night.


Mark and Brynn snuggling while out for a walk, September 2010

Mark and I have been married 7.5 years. When we met, we fell for each other quickly. He is the only man I've ever loved and I would never change that. He has come to know me well, the good and the bad. He challenges me, encourages me, tells me several times a day how beautiful I am and how much he loves me. I remember before we got married, my dad told me that we wouldn't truly know what "love" is for a while. He was right. On my wedding day I was "in love" with Mark, but through the years, I have grown to absolutely "love" Mark. And then there are moments like last night when, after watching Mark comfort our baby, I fall "in love" with him all over again. Mark is committed to me and our family, he loves the Lord and works to seek after him daily. He's funny AND thinks I'm funny and we laugh together a lot. He is smart and loves to research things. If he has a question about something, it's pretty much a guarantee that he'll be found on the computer at some point "Googling" for the answer. He loves our family and friends and would be content to have our house full of people all the time. He helps me with home tasks even when I don't ask and surprises me with things like flowers or chocolates often.



Mark dipping Brynn's feet into the Pacific Ocean for the 1st time, October 2010


I would lay my life down for this man, and I am so grateful that the Lord introduced us so early in life, that we have already shared 7.5 years of marriage, that we have been gifted a precious baby girl to raise together, and that we have many years ahead of us to grow as people and a couple.

3 comments:

The Weathered Sailor said...

i'm thankful for mark + rob = brynn.

Anonymous said...

It love hearing stories like this. You and mark re beautiful people separtly and together. Its couples like you that make me look forward to married life. God bless you, mark and beautiful baby brynn

Much love
Alex

tiffany jeanne said...

Love this Robin! Thank you for sharing...looking forward to hearing more about what you are thankful for!